Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spring is here at last!

Sunday was the official start to shorts weather.  Monday I could have worn shorts, but it was raining and a little cold.  But today, I wore shorts.  In preparation for wearing shorts, of course, I shaved my legs.

And it got me thinking.

Why do I shave my legs?

I would like to say it has nothing to do with society.  I hate how hairy legs feel, so I shave mine almost every day in the summer unless I'm wearing pants.  I hate the cricket legs.

But it makes me wonder.  If society didn't expect women to remain "well groomed", would I be as grossed out by leg and body hair as I am today?

We all know the double standards society has on this topic.  While women are expected to shave almost all their body hair, men are allowed to let it grow freely without being too heavily judged.  Sure, they can "manscape", but it's not necessary for them to shave their legs before going out in public in a swim suit or shorts like society seems to think it is for women.

This is just a small example of the double standards in our society.  Makes you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment